Monday, May 17, 2010

Week 3 - Already?

This month is going by so fast! And the weather is out of control - hot, cold, rainy, hot, hot, rainy. I can't keep up!
So far the $250 Challenge is going as planned. I am amazed at how relaxed I am this month. I'm not worrying about how much money is in the account, because I know how much there is. Mr. G has only used his check card three times this month, each time the purchases were for less than $20 and he told me right after using it. I've been using cash and I can't tell you how much that has changed my spending habits. I'm definitely going to keep taking out cash for my monthly spending money from now on.

Weekly Meal Plan
Budget - $50 of the $125 for the rest of the month

Dinner
Asian Chopped Chicken Salad
Tuesday - small group - I'll bring an appetizer
Wednesday - Dinner at a friends house - bringing dessert
Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas with rice and beans
Friday - I'm on my own, Enchilada leftovers

Lunches
Ham and Turkey sandwiches
Chicken Noodle Soup :)
Left overs

Breakfast
Eggs
Breakfast bars
Yogurt
Oatmeal
Pancakes

At Fresh and Easy I spent $40.72 which included 4 bottles of the sulfate-free shampoo & conditioner I use (F&E brand Retreat) - it was 50% off!! I also spent $12.10 at Whole Foods leaving me $72.18 for the remainder of the month.













Monday Night I made Asian Chopped Chicken Salad - my most asked for recipe. It is crunchy, sweet and overall a party in your mouth. And to make Monday night even better, the new edition of Food & Family came so I got to relax with my magazine and scrumptious salad. :)

3 comments:

  1. Great job sticking to your budget and you are so right, using cash makes a big difference. For me, it is harder to part with cash then it is to swipe a credit/debit card. I have never heard of the magazine before, can you tell me more about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so this most asked for recipe, can I find it somewhere? This Sounds like Friday night dinner to me!

    www.saraheverafter.wordpress.com

    www.ourcommoncents.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer - Food & Family is part of the Kraft Food family. The magazine comes quarterly and is full of easy & delicious recipes. Many of the dishes I make regularly come from this magazine - with a few of my own additions to the recipes. You can visit the website www.foodandfamily.com to find out more info. :)

    Sarah - I'd love to share the recipe with you. Here it is...
    1 head of cabbage - chopped
    1 bunch green onions
    3 stalks of celery
    3 cups cooked chicken breasts - chopped and cooled
    3/4 cup slivered almonds
    2 packages of Ramen noodles
    About 3 tbs oil

    Put the 2 packages of noodles in a large ziplock bag and smash them into small pieces (throw out the seasoning packets). Heat 3 tbs oil in a skillet and add the noodles. Stir continuously until they begin to brown. Remove noodles from heat and set aside so they can cool off.
    Combine cabbage, celery, almonds and onions in a large bowl. Add chicken and noodles once cooled and mix all ingredients together

    Add dressing and mix just before serving.

    Dressing
    3/4 cup of Vegetable oil
    5 tbs rice wine vinegar
    5 tbs sugar
    2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete