Wednesday, December 7, 2011

may all your Christmases be white (and silver)

Here in central California we don't get snow, but we always have a white Christmas - in the form of fog. It really isn't Christmas without it. Fog is terrifying to drive in, but I love opening the blinds in the morning and seeing - well nothing. Not even the tree in the front yard. 

Last year after Christmas I snatched up several boxes of colorful Christmas ornaments for 75% off at Target and I've been excited to change up my Christmas color scheme for the past 11 months. That is until I busted open the bins labeled "Christmas" and immediately felt like color wasn't going to work for me this year. A white Christmas was in order. So all of the color stayed in and only white and silver decorations were dusted off and displayed. 

{Luke 2:11 sign available for purchase on my Etsy shop, Amanda G Designs}


Mr. G and I got our presents for each other yesterday, new iPhone 4S's. I decided to try out the camera by taking pictures of the Gardner Christmas decorations to share with you.


I designed this wood sign which is made out of rustic pine. I stained them and wrote Luke 2:11 with a white Sharpie paint pen. I went with a light stain 1. because of the dark chocolate wall and 2. because this stain has a silver, distressed look which goes with the rest of the silver/white decorations. 



I love how the crystal garland illuminates the sign. 


A simple trick for decorating during the holidays is adding a pick (flower, pine cone, bird, spray) like I did here with the candle. The silver ornament pick brings some volume and fun to the trio of candles. Take it away and the candles are a little boring.

Our artificial Christmas tree has been a bit of a pain this year. Once we got it up and fluffed the branches we noticed that it was leaning. We attempted to correct the tilt a million times but nothing worked. We gave up and decided to be content with a slightly leaning tree this year. 


When I was in my teens I was always annoyed when my mom pulled out a shoe box filled with crusty old ornaments my sister and I made in elementary school. Why on earth would she keep those ugly things? Now I know. Everything Noelle makes is a memory. A precious gem that I never want to lose or forget. The ornaments she has made which are sprinkled around the tree bring me more joy than I could have ever dreamed. 







Everyone who comes over asks how I keep a busy 9 month old from tearing down the decorations. Noah isn't too interested in them. He was at first but "don't touch, Noah" and redirection did the trick and now he doesn't bother with the tree or any of the decorations.



I added a couple of flowers, sprays and pine cones to this simple lighted garland on the TV stand.





Where do you put all of your Christmas cards? I hang ours on a garland strung over the sink in the kitchen. I love looking at the faces of our friends and family every day. What a wonderful reminder of how abundantly we are blessed.
Since we have an artificial tree I buy a 22" fresh wreath every year for the kitchen. 100% for the scent only - added bonus - it creates more room to hang Christmas cards. 


I started keeping one of our Christmas cards since Noelle was born. It's going to be fun (hopefully) watching us change over the years.


 Our 2011 Christmas card.
Pictures from our photo shoot HERE.

Noelle stole my new phone to capture a few of her own pictures of the decorations - this one is my favorite. I think I have a little photographer in the making!


During the after Christmas sale last year we also picked up 3 sets of lighted branches. I stuck one of the sets into a tin container (Michael's for one penny!) with some greenery, picks, and branches. 
My mother-in-law DIYed this little red present for us! 


There's nothing I love more during the year than the days of December. And now with two babies I love it twice as much. It's about the kids, after all. Teaching them about our Savior and his birth, giving, the importance of family, baking goodies for us and others, Christmas movies, anticipation, creating new traditions, joy and laughter. Could it get any better?

*You are welcome to use my designs for personal use only*




Comments for this post will no longer be published due to the high volume of spam. If you have any questions, you can contact me at growingupgardner@yahoo.com. 
-Amanda

48 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! What a beautifully decorated home for the holidays. Every detail is absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks amazing! I love the white and silver! I need to update my Christmas decorations too..... Maybe I will catch some day after sales. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your decorations are gorgeous. I especially love your tree. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in LOVE with your decorations! They're so pretty, especially the fireplace! Can you come over and decorate my home?? LOL. I've been wanting to upgrade my phone and after seeing your pictures, I want it even more now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long are the boards for the stained mantle piece you did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Allyn. The boards come as 1inx6inx8ft.
      I gave the piece to a friend after Christmas so I can't be 100% sure but I believe they were cut to 30 inches.

      Delete
    2. I would love to order this Christmas sign. How much is it and how can I order it? Thanks

      Delete
    3. On my Etsy shop Amanda G Designs. The Luke 2:11 sign is available for purchase every Monday!

      Delete
  6. Did you use a stencil for your writing on the stained mantle piece? I could never write that perfect. You did a great job. What a way to bless your friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia - I know exactly what you mean. It's hard (and intimidating) to freehand. What I did was type the verse in iWeb (you could use any program, even Word) and then played around with different fonts. Once I broke the verse down and was happy with the look, I printed it out and used it as a guide. I thought I'd probably mess up "Born this day" so I wrote it lightly in pencil first before committing with the paint pen.
      You can do it!

      Delete
  7. Thank you! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any way you would consider making another for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmandaGdesigns?ref=si_shop

      Delete
  9. I love your Luke 2:11 sign!!!! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was wonderful to have displayed during Christmas last year. Now working on something new for this year!

      Delete
  10. What kind of lights are on the mantle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crystal string lights are from Costco from several years ago.

      Delete
  11. I like how you put the wreath in the kitchen window.I never would have thought of that. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you tell me what is the color of your walls please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I threw away my very important list of paint names for the entire house. I do remember that they are Behr colors from Home Depot. I think Chocolate Brownie and Harvest were the names.

      Delete
  13. I love your Luke 2:11 sign! I tried to find the "subleached" stain today at Lowe's, but the paint associate could not find it in their database of stains. Do you remember if Sunbleached is the specific name and what brand of stain it is?

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Came across this on Pintrest, I wanted to do something like this for Thanksgiving("Let Us Give Thanks")and this would be perfect for Christmas! Now I just need to go to Home Depot!

    God Bless,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  15. I may have missed it in the post but could u please get the name of the stain you used? Love this sign!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you tell me where you got your stocking holders? Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can you let me where you got the sharpie paint pen. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also want to buy your sign. I will check back on Monday on your Etsie Shop!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love you ideas!! I may copy them, and thank-you for pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi...love this! Could you tell me the overall dimensions/ Thanks so much!

    Thanks!
    Susanne Stroupe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amanda I forgot in my last post to ask about the font you used for the Luke 2:11 sign. I found a similar one called Lucinda Handwriting or Caligraphy.

    Thanks again,
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can I order the Luke 2:11 sign? I saw it and it took my breath away. Can you email me dyannaburak@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Amanda, I went to your website to order a sign but there none available please tell me when and how much your sign is, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sign is very popular and sells out quickly. I add them to the shop every Monday at 9am PST. I also add other designs to the shop on Monday's.

      Delete
  24. What brand/color is the stain that you have used for this sign?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Amanda, I just want to say that I love love love your sign! It is beautiful and the verse is so special. I plan to make it for my pinterest swap in December. I must make two so that I can keep one for myself. Thank you kindly for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Amanda, I would love to know where you got the reindeer figuring -- it is SO CUTE!! :) Thank you so much for the decoration inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got that little guy at Home Goods. I've seen similar ones this year at Hobby Lobby and Marshall's.

      Delete
  27. What are the exact measurements of your sign?
    I am sending it my hubby to buy the boards..Can't waith, a bunch of us are going to make this at a craft night at church.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to know how to secured the planks of wood together? I am *attempting to recreate your awesome sign and any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your blog is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing such great ideas. Very inspiring. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the sign. Can you tell me which fonts you used? Katie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful sign! Did you encounter any problems with the Sharpie adhering to the stained wood? I'm assuming that it was the oil based sharpie paint pen? Thanks ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this ~ it really puts the focus on the true meaning of Christmas. Will you share what fonts you used? Thank you for sharing all of your great ideas and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would love to know the font you yoused and the size of fonts

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your sign is beautiful, I hope I can find time to make one like it. On another note, could you share what the dark brown color on your walls are? I love that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Do you use an oil stain or a water based stain? I have been working on a similar project and have run into some problems. I stained my boards with an oil based stain (dark walnut). I then was trying to put a watered down white wash (have tried acrylic craft store paint and oil based paint) and use sharpie paint (have tried oil and water based) to write the words. They just smear smear smear. I am so frustrated! It is part of a preschool teacher gift this Thursday so I am desperate!

    ReplyDelete