Thursday, May 13, 2010

Eat This Not That!

Mr. G did a health test at work last month and was given the book Eat This Not That! - Supermarket Survival Guide. The night he brought it home I read it cover to cover and learned so much about how to read food labels and make better choices when I'm grocery shopping. Instead of saying, "Don't eat chocolate donuts," the authors give the best option, the lesser of the evils if you will.

Before reading this book I always checked for certain ingredients and calories, but ultimately I would usually buy the cheapest option on the shelf. Now I am aware of many other harmful additives and also check the sodium and fat content. I take my time and find the healthiest option - I may pay more, but I'm making the best choice for my family.

I keep the book in the living room and flip through it almost every day. Today I learned that Bread & Butter pickles are injected with high fructose corn syrup and have about 60 calories verses Kosher Dill pickles which have 10 calories.

I just ordered a copy of Eat This Not That! For Kids. There are several other versions for sale on Amazon. HERE

3 comments:

  1. Good thing I am in looovvveeee with kosher dills. Only 10 calories??? maybe I should eat them more often. Do you think it's ok, to go on a kosher dill pickle diet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sodium content is super high so definitely not. If only it were that easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book recommendation! I love finding out that there is always better options out there! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete