Monday, May 9, 2011

10 Minute Rule


Happy Belated Mother's Day!

My Mother's Day was the same as the previous two - Mr. G wakes up and takes Noelle to get me a newspaper, a Mother's Day card, and flowers (he's not so good in the gift department). Then we head to church and enjoy the day together.

Being a mom is by far the hardest thing I've ever done. Every day is a challenge, but also a joy and a precious gift. Gazing into their eyes takes my breath away because it is so amazing that they are my children. My little people who I love beyond words. I desperately want to be a good mother to them.

Which brings me to the topic of this post. One is much easier than two. Being out numbered during the day has left me scrambling for time to do chores, shower, run errands, etc. Before Noah, I would wait to do everything during Noelle's 2 hour nap so she could have all of my attention in the morning and afternoon. And even with 2 hours I usually didn't get it all done or have much time to myself. Well now I don't have 2 hours alone so a few weeks ago I started doing chores throughout the day with a 10 minute limit. This system allows me to have
1. Plenty of one-on-one time with both of the kids
2. Time for myself
3. Sanity.

Basically I know it will take me 10 minutes to do most of the chores around the house. Instead of tirelessly attempting to get them all done at the same time I give myself 10 minutes periodically throughout the day to do ONE chore.

For example, in the morning while Noelle is eating breakfast and Noah is hanging out or napping, I take 10 minutes to unload the dishwasher and load the dishes used for making breakfast. Then later I'll take 10 minutes to fold laundry or vacuum. I've found that the max I've spent on one chore is 15 minutes and that's when extra attention is needed. Before I start the chore, I let Noelle know what I'm going to do and ask if she would like to help. She loves throwing dirty laundry into the washing machine and helping me fold the laundry (she finds all of her clothes and puts them in a pile).

When the 10 minutes are up we play in her playroom or do some reading or coloring. This way she helps me, then I help her. She looks forward to doing chores now because she knows that it won't last long. Rather than me always saying, "Mommy has to clean up" I now say "Let's dust the living room together then we'll play with your doll house."

Now I use the time that I have when they are both napping to have a few minutes to myself. I also use the 10 Minute Rule for blogging, facebook, finding coupons, and emails.
Looks like my time is up!

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea! I'll have to remember it for when we're blessed with a #2 :)

    ReplyDelete